Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Kinship and Analysis


(1)
The interviewee I had chosen is my Uncle Mario, he was born in Oaxaca in Mexico, in August 13th 1957. Uncle Mario was born in another country it was a hard life for my uncle, exceptionally when he came to the United States. Thing were always hard for him even in the town he was raised in, which is Oaxaca in Mexico, because having to kill his own animal to eat and grow is own crops, and also work for not as much money as you would get in the United States, made thing harder. It was also hard because he gave money to his mom. When he knew what would better him and his family he came to the United States, got two jobs and they were full time, had a little studio, but even money he got he would sent most of it to is family in Mexico. The biggest accomplishment he made was learning English, he knew his Spanish very well, but English was difficult and he accomplished it. One thing that even amazed me is that when getting house is such a big difference from here, because in Mexico all you have to do his by your property and build your house you never have rent. Water comes by and they fill up your water tank and when you run out, you just call and fill it up again. My uncle Mario told me,” No matter what I have been through, this always make me feel good about being a Mexican.”

(2)
This made me feel proud, of what hard workers they’re are, and not only that but how dedicated they are to there families. Most of the time thoughts just kept going, proud, brave, hard working, and please tell me more because of how interesting this all sounds. No, not uncomfortable, but very comfortable because this is my families history things I never knew, and what my ancestors did for the family, and by being such a great family it makes me happy with where I come from inside. No, it didn’t it just made me respect my family more and to never judge them in any way, of how they were so long ago. If I wasn’t Mexican this would most likely make me feel weird, in such a case like, "oh my gosh, you had to kill an animal just to eat ewww," but I would think it and not say it only because of the different culture and not being use to the other culture.

(3)
We are such a big family we ALL stay in touch whether we are in the United States or in Mexico. My parents call Mexico all the time and except the charges just for the family. My parents even fly out there to see them twice a year. I know that my parent send money to my dads mother. Everyone gets along because we are lovers not haters. Emphasis is on the paternal line the most, only because there are more younger adults like myself, then older people, now I’m not saying I don’t talk to them just not as much as the paternal line. The older people we will say like me I am 23 years old, I look after them and try to keep them out of harms way, and they are fun to wrestle with. The older or younger never call each other names or blame anyone for anything, it’s just not like us and we all have been raised like that. NP never have we had ethnic difference toward each other after all we are all Mexican and we know how are people feel, we great along really good.


(4)
Yes, I know them both well, because I do go to Mexico at least once every two years, I know not a lot but its something. I don’t socialize equally with them other because I see more of my dads side of the family, so I socialize with them more, but when I see my mothers side of the family I still socialize, with what time I can. My mother would, not my dad, but yup my mom, only because its her word or no words kind of thing and me and my brothers just learn to live with it, or there would just be a problem. Yes, because my aunts seem to have the issue, like they don’t want know one new in the family. See after sometime they finally will warm up to that new member of the family, it just takes some time. Yes, because women should be treated sensitively in situations, like get wasted, if another guy comes around them, in other words they are protected A LOT.I have learned what my family had to do to survive in there time or what country they went to, not just that but how we stuck together as a family and didn’t rip each other apart when time got tough. I feel really happy with what family I have and what I have around me.

2 comments:

  1. Your culture compared to mine, was like OH MY GOSH! Your culture is a fighter in a good way like, a good fighter in survival, a fighter for there caring of your family. I think if your family could you would all be together one huge happy family. Your post showed me hard working and loving, which is something you need in a person. When times get stressful you just keep going. I was shock when you described that you have to kill your own animals to eat raise and then kill, that must have been hard on your culture, but your so caring for your family I can see why your culture does it. Your post was interesting and I very well enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family has an interesting story to tell, and you obviously enjoyed completing this assignment.

    The only recommendation I can really make is that I would have liked to have seen you step back a bit, take some of the emotion out of the narrative, and try to view your family as an anthropologist, not a relative. I think viewing your family with a different set of eyes from that of a devoted niece might have offered you a different perspective and revealed some kinship patterns you hadn't noticed before.

    ReplyDelete